The Ladies' Oriental Shrine of North America (LOSNA) was founded in Wheeling, West Virginia in 1903, when the Ladies of Osiris Shriners were invited to attend the social events and festivities surrounding Osiris' Spring Ceremonial. When the Shriners departed for their Initiation Ceremony, the Ladies decided to form their own organization and the first session of the Ladies' Oriental Shrine of North America was held and Isis Court No. 1 came into being. They would henceforth conduct their own affairs, even while continuing to support the Nobles with their Shrine activities. LOSNA is not an auxiliary of the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine (Shriners). They are a separate and distinct Order. The Grand Council was organized in 1914 and incorporated in 1954. Each year a Grand Council is held including all of the members from courts across the country. Today, the LOSNA has over 16,000 members in 70 Courts across North America. The Grand Council is hosted at the location of the court from which the presiding Grand Officer is a member.
When the Shriners founded the Shriners Hospitals for Children in 1922, the Ladies committed to supporting the Shrine's official philanthropy. Today the Courts continue the Hospital Transportation Fund, hospital sewing, research projects and other areas of interest. Each Court not only raises funds for the hospitals, but they donate clothing, stuffed animals, purchase equipment, man the information desk in the various hospitals and serve as office personnel on a voluntary basis. LOSNA contributes well over a half million dollars yearly to the Shriners Hospitals for Children.
To learn more about LOSNA, see the website for the Grand Council, Ladies Oriental Shrine of North America http://ladiesorientalshrine.org